Outgassing and Conductive Shielding Elastomers
Specialty Silicone Products (SSP) makes conductive shielding elastomers with low levels of outgassing, the release of gases from a solid material such as silicone. Outgassing is a problem in high-vacuum environments such as outer space because released gases can condense upon and cloud sensitive devices such as camera lenses. SSP’s low-outgassing products meet ASTM E595 requirements for outgas testing and combine protection against electromagnetic interference (EMI) with environmental sealing.
ASTM E595 and Low Outgassing Silicones
As demand for satellite communications, spacecraft, and optical applications grow, SSP is receiving an increasing number of inquiries about our low-outgassing EMI silicones. These gasket materials meet the requirements of ASTM E595, an industry standard that is used by NASA. ASTM E595 testing evaluates the changes in the mass of a specimen under vacuum conditions. This standard also defines allowable limits for total mass loss (TML) and collected volatile condensable materials (CVCM).
SSP makes four products that meet ASTM E595 requirements for TML and CVCM.
- SSP-2529 silicone is filled with nickel-plated aluminum particles and is a corrosion-resistant shielding elastomer.
- SSP-2368-65 silicone is filled with silver-aluminum particles and is on the Qualified Products List (QPL) for MIL-DTL-83528, Type B.
- SSP-2486-70 fluorosilicone resists fuels and solvents and is filled with silver-aluminum particles. This conductive shielding elastomer is QPL MIL-DTL-83528, Type D.
- SSP-2476-65 silicone is filled with silver-aluminum particles, has very low surface resistivity, and is available in continuous rolls for commercial shielding applications.
These four low-outgassing EMI elastomers are backed by a growing body of test data and are just some of the specialized products that we provide.
Test Data and Customer Requirements
SSP is always interested in adding test data and can often perform internal testing at our Ballston Spa, New York (USA) facility at little or no cost. We also work closely with customers who would like us to provide specific test data from third-party laboratories. Examples of this outside testing may include:
- MIL-STD-810 for fungus growth
- MIl-DTL-83528 for shielding effectiveness
- Compression set and compression deflection testing
- Oil emersion testing
- Thermal conductivity testing in w/mk
Do you need low-outgassing conductive shielding elastomers that meet the requirements of ASTM E595? Do you need other conductive shielding elastomers, military or aerospace silicones, or medical silicones instead? Contact SSP on-line or email Dominic Testo to discuss your application and how SSP can help.